Sitting with emotion is something a lot of people struggle with. Just allowing it to wash over you naturally, without turning to something that will smother it, numb it or block it out. Some use TV, gaming, alcohol or smoking. Others use retail therapy, gambling, social media, drugs or food. It can be revealing to just sit for as little as 20 minutes and observe what feelings pop up. Then notice which emotions are more difficult to sit with and produce urges to block. This might be where something needs working through.
About The Author
I am a Clinical Psychologist, online educator, blogger, and owner of a private practice in Hampshire, England. I have devoted my career to learning everything I can about adult mental health and the intricacies of the human mind. Please follow me on Instagram and other social media. Also please visit my Youtube channel to see all my videos.
August 12, 2019
September 4, 2019
October 17, 2019
September 24, 2019
Be the first to know about the latest free videos, articles and podcasts from Dr Julie Smith. Enter your email and we will let you know when new content is available.
- 10 Minute Guided Mindfulness Meditation – Relaxation
- Anxiety Thought Biases That Make You Feel Worse
- Supporting Someone With Depression
- Beat A Low Mood & Depression – 7 Tips
- In The Fight Against Fear, Action Is Your Superpower
- Pain x Resistance = Suffering
- Why bother with self-compassion?
- What is self-compassion?
- How to Change Your Mindset
- Mindset Matters: Here’s How